The West Chicago dentists at North Ave Dental Associates believe that you should begin to brush your child's teeth as soon as they erupt.
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry says "Starting at birth, clean your child’s gums with a soft infant toothbrush or cloth and water. Parents should use a tiny smear of fluoride toothpaste to brush baby teeth twice daily as soon as they erupt and a soft, age-appropriate sized toothbrush."
Your young child will not have the ability to effectively brush their own teeth or clean their gums. Your infant and toddler will need you to clean their teeth and gums for them.
Here are some helpful hints:
- Each member of the family should have their own toothbrush.
- Choose a small soft bristle brush for your infant and toddler.
- Only use a very small amount of toothpaste for your toddler or infant OR just use water.
- Let your child hold their toothbrush and have fun with their toothbrush.
- Bring your infant or toddler to see one of our dental professionals. They would be happy to answer your questions!
Call (630) 231 - 4500 or send us an email!